Monday, August 16, 2010

Batch #4 - Wheat Ale

I ended up making this one using pre-hopped extract. I wanted to make it from scratch, but all the recipes were essentially "use wheat malt extract, add hops". I figured if it was going to be that simple anyway, might as well save the aggravation of trying to find wheat malt extract.

I used Coopers wheat ale liquid extract. Dissolved it in 2 litres boiling water with 500g light malt extract and 300g dextrose. Put it into the carbuoy with enough cold water to equal just under 5 gallons. I forgot to pitch the yeast, but it seems to be doing fine nonetheless. Today is day 2, and the fermentation is very vigorous, and the brew has a nice, hazy yellow/orange colour.

No comments: