Sunday, April 8, 2012

Homebrew - Belgian Dubbel

Today I am trying my hand at a dark Belgian dubbel style beer. I am using as my base recipe the clone recipe for Chimay Red in Clone Brews by Szamatulski, with substitutions where I couldn't find the precise ingredients. Wish me luck!

Steep for 30 minutes @ 150F (in .5 gallon):
- 4oz special aromatic biscuit malt
- 8oz Caramunich type 3 (60L)
- 1 oz chocolate malt
sparge with .5 gallon at 150

Bring it to a boil plus another .5 gallons (1.5 total). Add:

4 lbs DME
400g DME (didn't have enough LME)
3 lbs LME
1.5 lbs Belgian Candi sugar (amber)
.5 oz Northern Brewer at 10.3% AA
.4 oz Tettnanger (US) Hops at 3.9% AA
(both pellets) (again, had to use substitutes / left over hops)

Boil for 45 minutes. Add:

.25oz German Hallertau hops (4.3%AA)
.25oz US Fuggles hops (4.2%AA)

After 5 minutes, add:

1tsp Irish Moss

After 1 hour, cool, add to cold water in fermenter to make 5 gallons. When room temperature, pitch Wyeast Belgian Abbey II liquid yeast.

(I just realized I was supposed to boil 3 gallons by the recipe, not 1.5. Oh well, it made preventing boil overs that much easier. Hopefully it has no real impact)

OG: 1.061

No comments: